Cleveland Clinic will begin installing additional electric vehicle charging stations this month, with support from a grant offered by the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency.
The Ohio EPA offered a one-time grant of $3.25 million in 2020 to support the installation of electric vehicle charging stations in 26 Ohio counties with resources from the Volkswagen Mitigation Trust Fund.
Cleveland Clinic has applied for all eligible hospitals and family health centers. The Ohio EPA selected 22 of the 40 Cleveland Clinic sites that best met its grant criteria to receive up to 62 ports/124 electric vehicle charging stations last year. In part, sites were selected on the basis of: proximity to roads, facilities and existing chargers.
This initiative supports Cleveland Clinic’s commitment to clean air and healthy communities. Electric vehicle chargers will be publicly available to patients, healthcare providers and visitors. They will be compatible with all current electric vehicle models.
A Cleveland Clinic team conducted site visits with local utility companies and the installer, Blink Charging, to determine the best locations for the new charging stations. Currently, Cleveland Clinic has 14 charging stations in four locations in northeast Ohio.
These level two charging stations produce 80 amps of power, charging them up to 65 miles in an hour. Level two chargers are the most common type of charger in the United States and can be found in many public locations.
The first wave of installations is expected this summer at Avon, Euclid and Medina hospitals, Mentor Family Health Clinic, Strongsville Family Health Center and Willoughby Hills Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy.
Here is the full list of Cleveland Clinic sites:
- General Hospital of Akron
- Akron . General Lodi Hospital
- Akron General Medical Center (Bath)
- Akron General Health and Wellbeing (Stow)
- Amherst Family Health Center
- Avon Hospital
- Avon Lake Family Health Center
- Avon Pointe Family Health Center
- Beachwood Family Health & Surgery Center
- Brunswick Family Health Center
- Chagrin Family Health Center
- Elyria Family Health & Surgery Center
- Euclid Hospital
- Independence Family Health Center
- Lorain Family Health & Surgery Center
- Medina General
- Mentor Hospital
- Strongsville Family Health & Surgery Center
- Twinsburg Family Health & Surgery Center
- Willoughby Hills Family Health Center (two buildings)
- Willoughby Hills Rehabilitation and Sports Therapy
As additional grants become available, Cleveland Clinic will install chargers in more locations.