There’s no room for Tesla to sit back and relax with its Model X as Rivian ditches its brand new electric SUV, the R1S, in an effort to challenge the monopoly of the first in the luxury EV market. Rivian R1S, which appears to be a revolutionary modernization of its Generation 1 counterpart, R1T, seems to challenge even the premium luxury SUV makers in general – the elite club of Porsche, Range Rover, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, Cadillac and Lincoln.
A giant leap that just makes it unparalleled
Rivian’s latest flagship electric SUV is indeed a major upgrade from its first entry in this series, the Rivian R1T. Let’s make a comparative analysis of their salient features.
- The R1S has a rear wiper activation button on the left steering column, which was notably absent in the R1T.
- Unlike the R1T, the new R1S has a chrome shroud on the top.
- The latter uses slightly different rendering software than the former.
- Here, the acclaimed under-seat storage has been replaced with a sliding seat and footwell for the third row.
- There are also a few similarities between the two. Both have an 11.1 cubic foot frunk, the same kind of tire options, and the same height and width.
- The third row seats have become much more impressive than the primary version.
Let’s take a closer look at the Rivian R1S specs
The luxury, comfort and overall experience offered by the Rivian R1S electric SUV may be reminiscent of White Star Line’s iconic cruise, the RMS Titanic. Here are all the minute details about the marvel of the next-generation electric SUV.
- It runs on a 4 AC permanent magnet (one per wheel) motor, which is quite important for its superlative.
- The 835 horsepower (908 pound-feet) output is enough to make you feel butterflies in your stomach.
- A battery as powerful as 135.0 kWh and that too, with Lithium-Ion, makes it an absolute powerhouse.
- It has unreal stats as far as its range is concerned – 316 miles.
- The Rivian R1S uses the CCS (Combo) plug for DC fast charging and can accept a maximum charging speed of 220 kW.
- It offers a variety of modes to choose from: Sport, Off-Road All-Terrain, Rock Crawl, Rally, Drift and Soft Sand.
Rivian R1S test drive review
The response so far has been really overwhelming. Here’s an overview.
- If you’re an adventure freak, the Rivian R1S could be the perfect choice for long journeys where the roads are bumpy and muddy, as the off-road capability is great.
- Also a stunning interior design consisting of a beautifully designed cabin with contemporary styling, luxury leather, wood trim and two large displays – one for infotainment and one for the driver gauge.
- It comes with a built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, a wireless charging dock for smartphones and Amazon’s Alexa voice assistant.
- Lack of proprietary fast charging networks.
- The software functionality can hardly match Tesla’s standards.
- Unavailability of Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
Rivian R1S Camping
The enormous space in the back makes the Rivian R1S electric SUV a camping paradise. Aside from Yakima’s tent mounts for the roof and plenty of storage space to transport large tent structures, it has a glass ceiling and USB-C and AC options.
Rivian R1S Price
The pocket squeeze for this rare juxtaposition of pure class, super smarts, technical brilliance and charismatic beauty, is $91,075. But one can certainly go for this ‘thing dreams are made of!’ since less than $100,000 is nothing but a steal.
Ride Rivian R1S to greener pastures
Backed by Amazon and Ford Motor, Rivian, who was boosted by a $2.5 billion cash injection led by T Rowe Price, is sure to lead people to a green lifestyle with his R1S. At a time when the climate crisis is raising the eyebrows of scientists around the planet, the arrival of R1S brings a breath of fresh air with excitement. Fasten your seat belts for the rollercoaster ride until we call you back with more fascinating updates on life, lifestyle and beyond.