Being locked out of your car or home is an incredible inconvenience, but the best magnetic car key holders can help you avoid calling a locksmith when — OK, when – it happens. They slide under your car (or other magnetic place) and hide a set of spare keys which you can easily open if you are locked out. Available in a variety of sizes, these key holders are ready to hide your spares for when you need them most.
How to choose a magnetic key holder for your car?
While there aren’t too many variations on the reliable magnetic key holder, there are a few specs to look out for to find the perfect one for you and your vehicle:
- Make sure the magnetic key holder you choose has the internal dimensions needed for the size of the key or keys you want to keep. From standard metal keys to keys with large plastic fobs, there should be a size that works for you.
- Many magnetic key holders have a simple slide closure, but for added security, consider one with a combination lock.
- If you’re looking for multi-car key holders or shelters, consider getting a multipack so you can meet all your most important hiding needs in one fell swoop.
Shop the best magnetic car key holders
Be in a hurry? These are the best magnetic car key holders:
- A budget-friendly set of magnetic key holders: Ram-Pro Plastic Hide-A-Key Holders (Set of 3)
- A magnetic key holder in 3 large sizes: Lucky Line Jumbo Magnetic Key Hide
- A magnetic key holder with combination lock: Kidde AccessPoint Magnetic Key Case with Lock
The best magnetic key holders may just be the car accessories you need: — and they’re ready to help you avoid being locked out or need an expensive visit from a locksmith.
1. A budget-friendly set of magnetic key holders
- Comes in a budget-friendly set of three
- Has a small key pocket
This budget-friendly set of three magnetic key holders is perfect for storing medium sized keys under multiple vehicles (or elsewhere). They are made of plastic so they won’t rust, and have a waterproof sliding cover to protect your belongings.
One reviewer wrote: “This is big enough to fit a car key. The magnet is strong and stayed exactly where I put it. I highly recommend this product!”
Internal dimensions: 3 x 1.38 x 0.25 in | Combination lock: No | Number of key holders per pack: 3
2. A magnetic key holder in 3 large sizes
- Not all sizes have exact inner measurements listed
This one magnetic key holder is available in three sizes, each of which is a great fit for larger wrenches or multiple medium-sized wrenches. Please note that the interior of each holder has a small cutout at the bottom which reduces the width a bit and the measurements below are the key holders at their widest. The key holders are not only magnetic, but also come with a screw in case you want to attach them permanently.
One reviewer wrote: “Product does exactly what it promises. I put my keys in the trunk and attached it magnetically to the underside of my car, completely off site. The magnets are strong enough to remain intact.”
Internal dimensions: Not specified for Large format; 3.25 x 1.75 x 0.56 in (extra large); 3.88 x 1.75 x 0.75 in (Jumbo) | Combination lock: No | Number of key holders per pack: 1
3. A magnetic key holder with combination lock
- Has a combination lock for extra security
- Has a relatively small inner compartment
Consider this for a little extra security lock magnetic key holder, equipped with a three-digit combination lock. It has a removable bottom and is made of weather-resistant plastic. It also has removable foam inside to prevent keys from rattling and has a lanyard attachment point, just in case.
One reviewer wrote: “Great! I used this for our road trip. We drove a lot of gravel and dirt roads, this stayed our entire trip! It felt so good to have the car ready for an emergency.”
Internal dimensions: 2.8 x 1.36 x 0.54 (as reported by one reviewer in a Q&A) | Combination lock: Yes | Number of key holders per pack: 1
About The Recommender
Rachel Dunkel is a trade writer whose work appears regularly on sites including: Rush, Elite Daily, microphoneand The Zoe Report. She has four years of experience searching, testing and recommending products in a wide variety of categories, including tech and travel products.